Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Best Gift of Christmas

We draw names from a hat (or bowl) every year to see which family member we will give a gift to on Christmas Eve. This year was special because our grandma spent the holiday with us. We included Grandma in the name drawing and wouldn't ya know it, she drew my name.

I sent a wish list out to the family to help them in their gift giving pursuits. This chance comes only once a year so you would think the list would be pretty long; unfortunately, after typing it out, my list looked pretty weak.

My Plan:

I added some pretend items to the wish list in an attempt to give a false appearance of variety for family members: they would see a healthy list of gifts and would think to themselves, "so many options, I can definitely find something on that list that I would like to give." As they scanned the list, they would weed out the fake wishes and pick a real one as their targeted gift.

Christmas Eve came, we ate our traditional dinner, we read Luke 2, sang carols around the piano, and then the gift giving began. This was the first test for my wish-list-plan. My turn to open my gift came and this is what I found.
I didn't know what to think when I unwrapped the jack-o-lantern and pulled out these devilish boxers. I was in a slight state of shock. Then I remembered that I asked for breakdancing underwear. Grandma had looked over my list and she shared with my mom her concern that she just couldn't figure out what breakdancing underwear was. The joke was on me when Grandma called me on this and actually gave me her interpretation (a brilliant one, at that) of breakdancing underwear.

Me, breakdancing. My apologies that the photo doesn't tell the whole story

4 comments:

Kirsten Sparenborg Brinton said...

Aww, come on. That's a great photo! But, you are right - It doesn't show the fancy dance you can do in your breakdancing underwear. And don't forget the "jack-o-lantern" wasn't a jack-o-lantern; It was wrapped in foil as a Disco Ball! Nobody really got that..

Mutation's Cantation said...

Jeff, those are awesome!

ANJ said...

um. i think this post warranted a video. that's all i'm saying. i've seen you dance before... but unfortunately, not in disco jack-o-lantern underwear!

Unknown said...

This is the right place. Thank you for sharing this.