Sunday, April 26, 2009

Looking into the Crystal Ball

Dr. A: Do you know what you want to go into yet?

Me: I don't know, I've really liked everything I've been exposed to.

Dr. A: Yeah, I can tell you are going to go into Family Medicine. You don't care about making money and I can tell you really care about the people.

Me: Yeah, (nodding, slightly flattered, slightly disturbed)

....Same day, three hours later...

Dr. A: So why did you go into medicine?

Me: Oh, I (Dr A cuts me off)

Dr. A: You probably went into medicine because you want to help people

Me: Yes, that's why I wanted to do medicine. I'm sure I would have been happy doing a lot of different things, but there is nothing I really WANTED to do like medicine.

Dr. A: Most people go into medicine because they want to help people out, but the truth is that you can't really help anyone change. They have to be the one to change.

Me: Yeah

Dr A: If you go into medicine wanting to change people, you are going to have a very unhappy life

Me: Yeah, I get that

Dr A: I think you would definitely suffer an existential crises if you specialized.

Me: haha, yeah, I could see that, haha (slightly flattered, slightly disturbed)

2 comments:

ajehz and m said...

dr a completely has your number.

Mutation's Cantation said...

i dont like dr A. she seems kinda mean. you can do whatever you want and you can still help ppl. she seems like she is unhappy. that is the problem. you do whatever you want.