Thursday, June 18, 2009

Sueños

The computer is not behaving with respect to photos so you are just going to have to imagine Arequipa through my very very brief post--if only there were time for more.

The city is nestled between an active volcano, el Misti that seriously rises into the sky like it is ready to burst. thirty sixty degrees to the west stands a great wall of snow capped mountains that were once volcanoes. The city is nicknamed the ´white city´because almost every building is made from the white lava (sillar) that has formed an interminable quary from previous volcanic eruptions. Pictures another day.

Our commute to school involves a short walk to the main street where we catch a taxi. In contrast to Lima, the air is pure and cool, the sky is clear and the sun is beaming down by 7am with intensity. I was waiting outside of a classroomthe other morning and a recollection of Provo came to mind. Why? I always thought the mts of Utah were kind of brown and well, not so grandiose. I think it was a combination of the air, the sun, and being on a campus.

After a hard day of work, we come home to our Arequipeña home with the familia Barrios. I couldn´t be happier with the set up. First thing, we get into our pajamas. Second, we help out with dinner, or sometimes just talk with the mom (Hermana Nelly) in the kitchen and then we enjoy an amazing meal followed by a couple hours of conversation over a variety of herbal teas. This is the life! I love our dinner table/tea time. This is what I love most about life, just talking with friends and family over an emptied table. Once we´ve covered all the bases, history, food, politicis, hobbies, literature, etc... we clean up and head to bed (or to drop a blog post). I´m kind of living my dream here in Arequipa. But it all ends this weekend and once again returns to being just a dream.

Sorry I don´t have more pics. There are muchos that I´d love to post but no time.Our morning walk

The view from our front door

Cooking the Lomo Saltado. SOOO GOOOD!

Peeling the papas for a little chicken al cial!