Monday, June 8, 2009

Una foto, una foto

Hola desde Peru. Why am I here? I planned on writing a post before I left to explain what I plan on doing here. The long and short: we are a mobile species. The more educated, the more mobile. This is great for the educated but the uneducated, surprise, surprise, lose. So doctors are leaving Peru to practice in better places, like Rochester. I am here with two colleagues to find out why medical students choose to stay and practice in Peru or why others choose to leave their homeland for ¨better¨land. Oh no, my Spanish is already ruining my English, ¡que horror! Seriously, that makes me sad, pero bueno, asi es.

The other part of the study is that almost a third of all doctors currently practicing in the US come from other countries. I attended a meeting a couple months back where the New York congress presented a new bill to excuse visa regulations for any foreign doctor as long as they practiced in under-represented rural or urban areas. Really? There is a lot of ethics to pull out of this but I don´t have the time, ahorrita.

So here I am in Peru, surveying and meeting with students in focus groups to understand their perspective, and to understand if they understand what they are bargaining for when they sign up for a residency in the Johnny (USA). Understand?

A few pictures outside of the University, Enjoy!

This is a poster in the University of San Marcos of Medicine. Those lines are SO latino. Gotta love how romantic the culture is.


Eating a local treat, Picarrones. Yes, they were delicious.

Pigeons never go hungry, 1st or 3rd world.



Plaza de Armas, Lima´s central plaza, behind is the, Hotel Bolivar



Yes, a little discotequing, of course. The best part was when the power went out around 12am throughout the entire district. I love Sur America!





Wouldn´t be Sur America without cathedrals



2 comments:

Unknown said...

The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd world thing ya no se usa. It's not even for the birds.

glad you made it! I've been thinking about Peru the last few days. Wish I was there!

chiyo said...

bring me a piccarones or else we will not be amigos anymore.